National Drive Electric Week is coming up, September 9-17, and this year there is a lot to celebrate.
2017 is feeling more and more like the year that EVs really hit the mainstream. France and the United Kingdom have joined the list of countries phasing out internal combustion engine cars completely. Volvo is going all-electrified. The new generation of mid-priced 200-mile range vehicles is steadily rolling out, with Tesla Model 3 now joining the Chevy Bolt. Tesla itself briefly topped the charts as the most valuable U.S. automaker. And the wave of EV sales continues, so far, up 35% over 2016.
2017 is feeling more and more like the year that EVs really hit the mainstream.
Plug In America presents Drive Electric Week, along with the Electric Auto Association and the Sierra Club. So come out, celebrate with us, and see all of the newest, hottest EVs in a fun, non-sales environment. We now have over 200 hundred events on our map in every corner of North America, with more signing up each day. We are getting closer to our goal of having an event in every state and province for the first time—but if you know EV drivers in Arkansas, New Mexico, South Dakota, Newfoundland or Prince Edward Island, please tell them we still need them to put a pin the map. Events are in the works in Argentina, Australia, Croatia, India, Jordan, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom. Wow.
Among this year’s highlights:
- Scottsdale, Arizona: This event will have every electric vehicle available for purchase in Arizona from the Tesla Model S, to Ford Focus EV, Kia Soul EV, Chevy Spark EV, to the Smart Car EV. Come learn about charging locations at the over 500 locations in Arizona.
- Louisville, KY: Louisville’s NDEW event centers around an EV movie night. Attendees can check out all the EVs in the parking lot (before and after the film) and talk with EV owners about their experiences.
- Las Vegas, NV: This event takes place under a photovoltaic solar canopy that tracks the sun during the day and provides power to two EV charging stations.
- Durham, NH: The Energy Committee of the Town of Durham, NH is putting on its third annual National Drive Electric Week event held in conjunction with Durham Day, the town’s annual celebration with free food, drinks, kayak demonstrations, boat rides, and more. Chevrolet, BMW, Nissan, Tesla, and other dealers are likely to have electric vehicles and offer free test drives, and EV charging is provided free of charge!
- Honolulu, HI: Honolulu’s second annual National Drive Electric Week event includes an EV caravan that drives all over Oahu. The caravan is followed by an event open to EV owners and non-owners alike, with opportunities to talk to EV owners about why they love to drive electric.
- Westerly, RI: The Westerly NDEW event is being held in in partnership with the Misquamicut Business Association’s Fall Festival. After attendees take an EV test drive, they can check out the amusement rides, listen to the concert, and explore the beach.
- Watts, CA: Watt’s second annual event features info on all of the available rebates and financing options to help low-income communities drive away air pollution with electric vehicles.
…if you know EV drivers in Arkansas, New Mexico, South Dakota, Newfoundland or Prince Edward Island, please tell them we still need them to put a pin the map.