FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 11, 2021
Noah Barnes, Plug In America
Plug In America consumer survey finds EV drivers are satisfied driving electric; room for improvement with public charging and dealer experience
96% of EV owners are likely to purchase an EV as their next vehicle
LOS ANGELES—Plug In America released the results of a major national survey of more than 4,300 electric vehicle (EV) consumers, both current drivers and those who plan to purchase one. The full survey report is now available on the Plug In America website at https://pluginamerica.org/about-us/electric-vehicle-survey/.
Among the findings of the survey:
- EV drivers are very satisfied with their vehicles, with 96% reporting that they are likely to purchase an EV as their next vehicle.
- A majority of both current EV drivers and those considering an EV, over 60%, indicated that clean air / environment was a “most important” consideration in the decision to purchase an EV.
- Compared to current EV drivers, those considering an EV were slightly more likely to cite “cost savings” and less likely to cite “performance / fun to drive” or “cutting edge technology” as considerations.
- The federal EV tax credit and inexpensive home charging were cited as significant economic considerations when deciding to purchase an EV.
- EV drivers indicated room for improvement with the shopping experience, with only 15% rating the knowledge of the salesperson about EVs as “very high.”
- More than 50% of current drivers have experienced problems with public charging, although these problems were more prevalent in those who drove non-Tesla EVs.
“We are pleased to report that EV owners are happy with their decision to drive electric,” said Joel Levin, executive director of Plug In America. “EV drivers enjoy many benefits, from reduced fuel costs to simpler maintenance to a superior driving experience. However, we need to ensure that the transition is as smooth as possible for the millions of Americans that will be shifting to electric vehicles in the coming years. We will continue working with federal and state governments, electric utilities, charging networks, dealerships and others to help more people shift to clean EVs.”
Plug In America will be hosting a webinar to examine the results of the survey in greater detail on Thursday, February 25 at 2 pm ET/11 am PT. More details on the webinar and the full survey report can be found at https://pluginamerica.org/about-us/electric-vehicle-survey/.
About Plug In America
Plug In America is the nation’s leading independent consumer voice for accelerating the use of plug-in electric vehicles in the United States. Formed as a non-profit in 2008, Plug In America provides practical, objective information collected from our coalition of plug-in vehicle drivers, through public outreach and education, policy work and a range of technical advisory services. Our expertise represents the world’s deepest pool of experience of driving and living with plug-in vehicles. We drive electric. You can too. PlugInAmerica.org