Job Title: Program Manager, Full-Time Position
Location: Los Angeles, CA or Boston, MA
This position may require travel in California, the Northeast and other locations around the U.S.
The Program Manager will implement Plug In America’s “PlugStar”-branded consumer engagement initiatives, serving as a key member of the EV outreach team. Projects involve development of online tools for dealers and end customers, training and certification of auto dealers in EV incentives and best practice sales methods, incentive administration and data collection for performance measurement. These projects address critical gaps in market development for electric cars and focus on exposing consumers to EV technologies and the EV lifestyle. This means ensuring customers have access to timely, accurate and user-friendly information from trusted sources. The candidate must be comfortable with technical and customer-facing projects requiring coordination across multiple organizations and functions. We anticipate that as the PlugStar online platform stabilizes, responsibilities will shift.
The Program Manager reports to Plug In America’s Program Director and contributes to implementation of Plug In America’s expanding consumer and retail engagement initiatives in the following capacities:
- PlugStar Program Project Management:
- Plan, implement and control PlugStar dealer engagement projects, as assigned
- Manage and report project budgets and subcontracts
- Develop and maintain strong client and stakeholder relationships, including management and sales staff at auto dealers, auto manufacturers, utilities and vendors
- Provide logistical and administrative oversight and enforce program requirements, application procedures, and standards
- Ensure deliverables and resources align with both established technical standards and project requirements
- Program Monitoring and Reporting:
- Develop project plans / Gantt (timing) charts, including baselining, resource loading and leveling across projects
- Accurately track project progress and data in Instagantt, Asana, Excel, or customer relationship management (CRM) software
- Prepare program reports and analysis; present reports defining progress, challenges and solutions for the PlugStar program
- Assist in identifying key project performance metrics and in designing and implementing data collection efforts
- Organize and analyze data to comply with client reporting requirements and support program design improvements
- QA/QC project processes to ensure procedures are optimized to achieve project and program goals
- PlugStar Digital Asset Management:
- Manage new product development and iterative product releases from initial design through testing and implementation
- Assess software and online product needs, develop requirements and product specifications, draft request for quotes (RFQs), vet proposals and advance recommendations for potential product solutions
- Manage all subcontractor deliverables and act as liaison for communication between program staff and subcontractors
- Identify actions required of PIA partners to integrate new online tools
- Manage PlugStar’s digital assets, including data architecture, SEO, content creation and UX/UI; update online assets to integrate new marketing campaign content as needed
- Facilitate coordination of digital service providers to implement new strategies, including branding and messaging, throughout the PlugStar Program’s digital assets
- Program Outreach and Stakeholder Engagement:
- Participate in outreach events on behalf of Plug In America and our clients
- Help develop marketing materials, workshops, or educational campaigns
The following qualifications are required:
- Bachelor’s degree and 5 or more years of professional, related experience in the primary job duties and required qualifications
- Demonstrated proficiency leading remote teams developing new software products, apps or other online tools requiring superior user interface and user experience (UI/UX) design
- Experience managing digital assets, including: SEO, UI/UX, and content
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; confidence speaking to executive audiences
- Solid organizational and time management skills with ability to meet deadlines
- Detail oriented, with ability to independently handle multiple tasks, changing priorities, stressful situations and complex assignments
- Collaborative team player with strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to take initiative, be proactive and work with minimal supervision
- Experience coordinating and facilitating events and stakeholder meetings
- Passion for electric cars, sustainable transportation and/or renewable energy technologies
The following qualifications are preferred:
- Experience in the automotive and/or renewable energy or energy efficiency sectors, especially in marketing or sales
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification
- Proficiency using the following types of software: CRM systems, social media scheduling/monitoring, image editing; experience with data entry and databases
- Experience developing or customizing learning management systems on platforms such as Canvas LMS
- Proficiency in Agile and/or Scrum software development techniques and methods
- Experience using a CMS (i.e., WordPress)
- Master’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Six months experience driving a plug-in vehicle on a regular basis. (In any case, the Program Manager will be expected to be regularly driving a plug-in vehicle no later than 12 months after hiring.)
Computer and/or Technical Skills:
- Proficiency with standard office software packages such as MS Office: Access, Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook. Demonstrable proficiency in Excel and Project Management tools required.
License, Certificates or Registrations:
- Valid California Driver’s License; insurable in the State of California or Massachusetts. Must own a licensed and registered vehicle and be willing to use it for work-related purposes.
Salary and benefits: Salary is commensurate with experience and skills. Plug In America offers a benefits package including partial health insurance coverage, a retirement plan, and a monthly vehicle benefit towards lease or purchase of a plug-in vehicle.
Application Process: Applications should include a resume, cover letter and a short writing sample (2 pages maximum). The application process will also include a brief writing test for select applicants. Applications should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line “Program Manager”. No phone inquiries please. Plug In America is an equal opportunity employer. The position is open until filled.
About Plug In America: Plug In America is a 501(c)3 nonprofit with a mission to accelerate the transition to plug-in vehicles powered by clean, affordable, domestic electricity. Our goal is to reduce our nation’s dependence on petroleum, improve public health and reduce climate altering emissions of greenhouse gases. In addition to policy advocacy, we help consumers understand and embrace the benefits of electric driving. To achieve our mission, we provide practical, objective information to help consumers decide whether an electric car is right for their lifestyle and to choose the best plug-in vehicle, equipment and services that meet their needs. As a supporter-driven advocacy group representing the voice of the EV customer globally, Plug In America is uniquely positioned and engaged with a variety of stakeholder and market actors, including state agencies, electric utilities, automakers and auto dealers. Plug In America founded National Drive Electric Week, the world’s largest celebration of the plug-in vehicle, which welcomed over 120,000 attendees across 276 events in 2017, spanning all 50 states and the District of Columbia.