Policy Specialist, Full-Time Position
Location: Massachusetts (preferred), or New England, U.S.
This position will require travel around the northeast states of Massachusetts, Connecticut, Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Rhode Island, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and occasional travel to Los Angeles, California.
The Policy Specialist will implement the northeast aspects of the Plug In America policy program, aimed at supporting various policies that accelerate the rollout of electric vehicles and speed the transition to electrification of the transportation sector. This work will be mainly focused on regulatory policy at the state level in the northeast, with some legislative policy work. This work will include the following elements:
• Work with state public utility commissions and staff to educate on electric vehicles and supportive electric vehicle policy;
• Collaborate with partner organizations to implement supportive policy strategies in the northeast;
• Facilitate working groups/task forces with a range of stakeholders on various electric vehicle policy areas;
• Work with Plug In America staff and board on furthering the Plug In America mission to put more electric vehicles on the road;
• Work with Plug In America staff on developing further policy guidance material, reports, and factsheets;
• Implement action alerts to supporters when required; and
• Represent Plug In America in discussions with state public utility commissions, government agencies, legislatures, administrations, corporations, and NGOs.
The following qualifications are required:
• Master’s degree in energy or environmental policy, or similar public policy degree, from an accredited college or university; or J.D. from accredited law school with a preference for energy or environmental specialization;
• Familiarity with electric vehicles, climate change and energy policy;
• At least five (5) years’ experience in policy advocacy, with a preference for regulatory experience;
• Strong written communication and public speaking skills;
• U.S. citizen or legal resident with right to work in the U.S.; and
• Strong organization skills and attention to detail.
The following qualification is preferred:
• Six months experience driving a plug-in vehicle on a regular basis. (In any case, the Specialist will be expected to be regularly driving a plug-in vehicle no later than 12 months after hiring.)
Salary and benefits:
Salary is commensurate with experience and skills. Plug In America offers a benefits package including partial health insurance coverage, a retirement plan, and a monthly vehicle benefit towards lease or purchase of a plug-in vehicle.
Applications should include a resume, cover letter and a short writing sample (2 pages maximum). The application process will also include a brief writing test for select applicants. Applications should be emailed to email@example.com, with the subject line “Policy Specialist”. No phone inquiries please. Plug In America is an equal opportunity employer. The deadline to apply is Friday, January 26th, 2018 at 5:00pm Pacific time.
About Plug In America:
Plug In America is a 501(c)3 nonprofit with a mission to accelerate the transition to plug-in vehicles powered by clean, affordable, domestic electricity. Our goal is to reduce our nation’s dependence on petroleum, improve public health and reduce climate altering emissions of greenhouse gases. In addition to policy advocacy, we help consumers understand and embrace the benefits of electric driving. To achieve our mission, we provide practical, objective information to help consumers decide whether an electric car is right for their lifestyle and to choose the best plug-in vehicle, equipment and services that meet their needs. As a supporter-driven advocacy group representing the voice of the EV customer globally, Plug In America is uniquely positioned and engaged with a variety of stakeholder and market actors, including state agencies, electric utilities, automakers and auto dealers. Plug In America founded National Drive Electric Week, the world’s largest celebration of the plug-in vehicle, which welcomed over 120,000 attendees across 276 events in 2017, spanning all 50 states and the District of Columbia.