Job Title: Events Manager, Full-Time Position
Location: Los Angeles, California
Primary Responsibilities: The Events Manager will be the lead player in overseeing Plug In America’s many public EV events. His/her time will be divided between National Drive Electric Week and Plug In America’s experiential ride and drive program. The job duties are described in detail below.
National Drive Electric Week (NDEW)
• Manage relations and communications with hundreds of volunteer city captains and ensure successful implementation of their events.
- This requires a passion for customer service and strong diplomatic skills as well as an eagle-eye for detail, compelling writing skills and the ability to identify new ways to creatively engage and support them.
• Provide leadership to ensure an effective NDEW that achieves our goals and advances Plug In America’s mission;
• Serve as liaison with our partner organizations;
• Serve as team lead internally, working closely with staff to ensure that NDEW-related activities are linked to other activities such as policy advocacy;
• Develop and implement strategic growth plans to broaden the impact of, and participation in NDEW and other potential event campaigns:
- Identify new communities of interest;
- Build messaging to encourage participation; and
- Think creatively about ensuring year-round engagement with city captains and other stakeholders.
• Manage small grants and training program for select city captains, including issuing RFP, working with subcontractors to develop curriculum, and work with our accounting team on tracking and reporting;
• Coordinate media relations, social media and other NDEW communications;
• Oversee part-time assistant and various vendors;
• Serve as liaison with national sponsors, provide them with good customer service, ensure that they receive all expected benefits from their sponsorship, work with them to coordinate communications and social media;
• Work with fundraising staff to design appropriate sponsor benefit packages; and
• Other duties as needed.
• Manage the organization’s educational ride and drive events;
• Lead the logistics, partner relationships and staffing for events conducted in-house;
• Oversee the work of subcontractors for events which are contracted out;
• Oversee the development of web and collateral content for events;
• Attend outside events to represent Plug In America and/or lead events; and
• Other duties as needed.
The following qualifications are required:
• B.A. or B.S. degree in related field;
• Five years of experience managing events or programs;
• Familiarity with GoToMeeting/GoToWebinar for city captain or event leadership training;
• Strong written and verbal communications skills;
• U.S. citizen or legal resident with right to work in the U.S.;
• Strong organization skills and intense attention to detail; and
• Familiarity with electric transportation, the auto industry and/or climate change policy.
The following qualifications are preferred, but not required:
• Master’s degree in related field;
• Experience managing a website using WordPress;
• Familiarity with Salsa Engage database software;
• Proposal writing or other fundraising experience (while this is not a core part of the position, it may sometimes prove useful); and
• Six months experience driving a plug-in vehicle on a regular basis. (In any case, the Manager will be expected to be regularly driving a plug-in vehicle no later than 12 months after hiring.).
Salary and benefits: Salary is commensurate with experience and skills. Plug In America offers a benefits package including health insurance coverage, a retirement plan, and a monthly vehicle benefit towards lease or purchase of a plug-in vehicle.
Application Process: Applications should include a resume, cover letter, and short (two page maximum) writing sample. Applications should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line “Events Program Manager.” No phone inquiries please. Plug In America is an equal opportunity employer. This position is open until filled.
About Plug In America: Plug In America is a 501(c)3 nonprofit with a mission to accelerate the transition to plug-in vehicles powered by clean, affordable, domestic electricity. Our goal is to reduce our nation’s dependence on petroleum, improve public health and reduce climate altering emissions of greenhouse gases. In addition to policy advocacy, we help consumers understand and embrace the benefits of electric driving. To achieve our mission, we provide practical, objective information to help consumers decide whether an electric car is right for their lifestyle and to choose the best plug-in vehicle, equipment and services that meet their needs. As a supporter-driven advocacy group representing the voice of the EV customer globally, Plug In America is uniquely positioned and engaged with a variety of stakeholder and market actors, including state agencies, electric utilities, automakers and auto dealers.
About National Drive Electric Week: National Drive Electric Week, September 8-16, 2018, is a nationwide celebration to heighten awareness of plug-in vehicles and highlight the benefits of all-electric and plug-in hybrid-electric cars, trucks, motorcycles, and more. The event has grown tremendously, with more than 275 events and 120,000 people attending in 2017. Media mentions exposed electric cars to more than a million people globally.